Yes, I have it easy. I live less than two miles from work. In fact, I already bike to work on a somewhat regular basis. But this week is Bike to Work Week, meaning now is the time for YOU to take advantage of the beautiful Southern California weather and ride your bike to work.
While May 11-15 is Bike to Work Week, this Thursday, May 14, is the actual Bike to Work Day, so if you’re lazy, perhaps you can aim to bike for just that one day!
Why Bike to Work?
- Be green! There is no motor vehicle out there that is as green as riding your bike. Be kind to the Earth.
- Exercise — Especially if you have one of those jobs where you sit at a desk all day, it is more than likely that you SHOULD bike to work.
- Look cool — Make all your co-workers jealous as you ride in on your two wheels, all energized and ready for your day.
- Enjoy the outdoors — Biking is awesome! Trust me, it’s more enjoying than sitting in traffic.
A Few Tips
- Watch out for cars and be defensive — Watch the eyes of the drivers and make sure they see you, because I’ll admit that I’ve even almost hit a couple bikers while on the road because I didn’t see them.
- Wear a helmet — You can never be too safe.
- Wear shorts, and bring your clothes to change into — A couple days ago, I tore the cuff of my pants and almost fell because it got caught in the gears. Don’t make that mistake.
- Enjoy the morning air — You can almost think of it like a convertible! But more work.
- Don’t forget your lock — Last thing you want is for your bike to get stolen.
- Any more? Let us know!
Image taken from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bicyclesonly/2492412298/